Tuesday, June 8, 2010

a moment's monument

Today I started a new project. I was inspired by an article in Real Simple, about different things in life that are worth doing. One of the suggestions was to create a scrapbook that illustrates one week of your life. I haven't been great about documenting my pregnancy or even keeping a journal in general, something I was fastidious about in my younger days.

The point of the project is to take photos and write down snippets of whatever throughout the day- your mundane routines, your clothes, the food you eat, your thoughts, things you overhear, conversations you had. Collecting all of these little things creates a fantastic opportunity to capture your life. It's like a mini-time capsule. And more importantly it's a creative process that's pretty low-maintenance. Meaning, I can still do it while 8 months pregnant without getting physically or mentally exhausted. Shit, it might even be easier than tying my shoes these days.

I've been taking random photos today. I'm not sure how I'll catalog all of it yet, although I do know that at the end I'll compile my words and photos and scraps that I've saved in some sort of album. I hope I stick with it! I know it'll be totally cool if I do.

1 comment:

hillarybking said...

hi shawna - sounds like you're getting ready for "the big day!" this is such a cool idea. are you going to post a page or two? i'd love to see what you come up with.
best,
hillary