Saturday, November 24, 2007

Never been lonely, never been lied to.


This Thanksgiving weekend started off with a whimper. Cancelled plans left me staring down the prospect of Thanksgiving Eve by myself. Seattle was unseasonably cold on Wednesday, and when my boss excused us early, I bolted onto the wind-blown streets of downtown. I didn't have a plan but the air was so frigid that I ducked into a clothing store and bought a Spiewak jacket (originally sewn for the dockworkers of Red Hook). I roamed around until two co-workers returned my call for happy hour. I was saved from the evils of going home alone on TE!

After two glasses of celebratory wine (4 days off!), my friends had to depart their family-related ways. I jumped onto the bus and bumped into my totally cute barista, Addie (non-sexual crush). She invited me to stich n' bitch at Laurie's (fellow cutie barista). I went, it was good times.

Thanksgiving day was excellent. I ran in the Tacoma Turkey Trot- a 5k- with two friends. I drove Aunty Em and on the way back, I somehow veered off of I-5. We found ourselves on some single-lane road in the mountains. We must've been deep in conversation, 'cause no one noticed we weren't in Kansas anymore. We righted our way, thanks to my trusty atlas in the back seat.

I spent dinner with a motley crew of Sean's friends, many of whom are from Georgia. There was a ridiculous amount of southern food.

Although there's been some good get-togethers this weekend, I can't help but feel like Thanksgiving weekend is awfully long on this coast. This year is better than last- the weather is sunny and cold, as opposed to last year's grey and freezing rain, I have a car, a dude, I enjoy my apartment, I adore my friends. Still, it feels like a monstrous effort to fill 4 days with social activities. I don't know why I'm so scared to be alone this weekend, but I am. How many times can I go to the gym/get coffee/edit a mix tape?

Today I'll go to the studio. I'm lacking a good idea for Christmas cards. I have some other poster projects I could work on though. I'm seriously looking forward to going back to work tomorrow...I know how that sounds.

No comments: