Sunday, February 21, 2010

Champage tastes on a Bud Light budget

I had lots of little things I wanted to do this weekend, and with the exception of dinner out with friends, my overarching goal was to NOT SPEND MONEY. I've done pretty well, but it is really hard. I'm trying to channel my thrifty college self, when I lived off of $20 a week for groceries (frozen burritos, baby carrots, sour cream, pretzels, instant oatmeal, and bananas). Or even my post-college self, when I made a pittance (but my friend Ben joked that my NYC rent was so cheap, all I had to do was toss my pocket change into a bucket for my landlord).

Over our eerily spring-like weekend, I went on a run, took a walk, watched the Olympics, did pre-natal yoga ($15), cleaned our condo (free! and necessary), cleaned the car ($8), bought some groceries ($40- unheard of these days), called some friends, finished my book and got a new one from the library (free, and awesome), got a decaf Americano from Lighthouse ($2 and totally worth it), drank a couple fake beers at Prost (Dave paid), caught a few episodes of Friday Night Lights, made lasagna in my slow cooker, and set up my studio (finally, because the rent is definitely not free). I kept thinking of stuff to do or things to buy, then remembered to NOT SPEND MONEY and quickly diverted my attention.

So my taste for Herman Miller furniture, Apple computers, cross country travel and homemade brownies that call for two brands of fancy chocolate is finally catching up. Time to reel it back in and kick savings into high gear. This week we will live off of the contents of our cabinets and freezer. Who wants a fake chicken patty on a waffle?

No comments: