Saturday, March 6, 2010

Walking on sunshine

Is it weird that I don't want to do anything? I guess "anything" is a misnomer, but I have a few things on my to-do list and topping that list is "Work". I definitely don't feel like going to the office on a beautiful Saturday. I would clean our house, or cook or make a collage but boarding a bus and going downtown does not appeal to me.

This morning I went to pre-natal yoga. I've had a rocky relationship with yoga over the past ten years. For example, I was into it while atending a pre-college program at Bennington (coincidentally, that's when I decided to become a vegetarian and learn to sew. Neither goals lasted the year). A few years ago I stated that "Yoga isn't for me. I want a workout that makes me sweat".

Fast forward to 2010: My pregnant friend Dara piqued my interest in pre-natal yoga, partially because she said at the beginning of each class, everyone says their name and how far along they are, and I'm curious about other pregnant ladies/bodies. I'm amazed by women who are past 35 weeks because they are generally so big! Am I going to be that big?! How can it be?!

It took a lot of momentum to get to the community center for my first class. I seemed to come up with excuses really easily (such as I already pay for, and attend, two gyms). But I finally went a month and a half ago and the class was so relaxing and mellow, on my way home I felt like I was walking on sunshine. Although some yoga practices are vigorous workouts, this class focuses on stretches for pregnancy and labor. We also focus on breathing, being in the moment and losing judgement, which is really therapeutic for my hyperactive East Coast mind.

It may be a little crunchy granola, but I am beginning to really look forward to my Saturday pre-natal yoga class. As a side-note, the weather in Seattle has been ridiculously nice. It's been spring-like for a month now. The cherry blossoms are all blooming, adding brushes of pink to the cityscape. It's a nice backdrop to my intense work deadlines. So, about going in to the office...

By the way, this is Chez Moni's 100th post! And I'll post pics of my belly soon.

No comments: