Sunday, August 7, 2011

"You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat"

What does a girl have to do to watch Jaws around here?

We've been swimming a lot- in lakes, pools, kiddie pools, the ocean, and Long Island Sound (which is the ocean, if you want to get technical). And I really want to watch Jaws, although that might be a poorly-timed idea, since I plan to continue our ocean adventures. Edie was born during Shark Week last year, so that might explain my deep-rooted desire to see the sneaky/smart fish on film.
I tried to get a copy from the library, but they were out, and Blockbuster isn't anymore, and I doubt Red Box has a "Classic Horror" section. I'm sure it's on TBS or something similar, maybe even On-Demand. There never seems to be time to dedicate two hours to a movie anyway...

...'Cause I'm busy training for a half-marathon! I've quickly accepted the fact that I'm not going to Crossfit for a while. The one that people recommend is inconvenient and out of our budget right now. I've been a runner, on and off, for about 10 years. My sister introduced me while I was in college, dividing my summer between Boston and CT, because all you need is a pair of sneakers. It's cheap and easy, so I always pick it up during times of transition or economic belt-tightening.

This will be my third half-marathon, and I use an online tool to calculate how often and how long I have to run. Sometimes I bring Edie in her baby jogger. She likes the free ride (especially with a teething biscuit in hand). My friend Kelly and I are planning to do our long runs together on Saturdays, and another friend might join me during a weekday morning workout. Tomorrow my mom will run with me. I don't listen to music, because my headphones often fall out, which is frustrating. It disrupts the momentum. Running can be therapuetic and is giving me a chance to explore our town and local wildlife.

The race I'm training for is the Hartford Half-Marathon, which will be in mid October. It's a beautiful time in New England, which seems so far away while, as we're whiddling away our weekend days at the beach.

No comments: