Friday, August 12, 2011

Chicken Soup for The Mattress

I was just waiting for this to happen. While things have been going pretty well with our POD, every time we request it be removed from its warehouse home (via forklift) feels like a roll of the dice. Keeping our somewhat organized chaos in order seems less and less realistic as we remove and replace this huge box from its towering POD stack.

You've heard horror stories of storage units: mice establish new colonies in your mattress, valuable files succomb to stinky mildew, your wardrobe becomes moth heaven. People's stories never seem to end well. Today Dave visited our POD with the hopes (ahem, very high hopes) of getting his classroom materials out. The stuff was packed in a box, in a wardrobe behind a lot of other big items. He didn't get his materials but he DID find an exploded box of chicken stock (thanks to the humitidy), that blew up on top of a bookshelf and attracted hordes of gnats.

Although it stinks (literally), it could be worse. Dave got some fly strips to catch the buggers but I called PODs immediately and asked for them to deliver it ASAP. They said "How about tomorrow?" and I said "Sure!" Where will we put all of our stuff? Guess we'll just push my parents basement around a bit. There really isn't room, but leaving our stuff in the bug-infested chicken soup container will be a death sentence.

I've been thinking of the tangible things I miss. It'll be nice to have them back when the POD arrives.

1. My contacts. I somehow ripped my monthly contact one week into their use, and have been running with my glasses, which fog up and slip down when I get sweaty. Also hard to water-ski with blurry vision. And I've been wearing my sunglasses over my glasses like a huge nerd.

2. My radio. This goes beyond just having music in the house. I miss our music set-up, and I miss Seattle radio station KEXP. I commute 25 minutes each way to work, and the state of local radio is getting me down. I'm seriously thinking about paying for Sirius. But on the positive side I'm caught up on the news thanks to NPR.

3. My straw hat. Critical summer accessory.

4. Our bed. A bed is pretty personal, and we like ours.

5. My recipes. I have a killer Mexican corn-on-the-cob recipe that I don't feel like digging around for online. Our summer has sadly lacked Mexi-corn.

6. My USB cord, so my blog posts aren't so spartan. Sorry.









No comments: