Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cloudy with a Chance of Hype

There was a lot of hype the last few days about Hurricane Irene, and I must say, I'm a bit dissapointed. Multiple news outlets advised stocking up on water for three to four days, have
batteries locked and loaded, and avoid going outside at all costs. My mom and I went to the grocery store on Thursday to gather provisions, and the place was picked clean of water, flashlights, and Cheerios.

Luckily they still had cheddar cheese, Sierra Nevada, and Pantene shampoo, all key for survival. I even found a secret stash of bottled water in the baby aisle. Yes, Gerber markets this stuff to hyper-sensitive parents who want triple-distilled water for their young. People asked in hushed tones, "Where'd you get that water?!" I heard from friends that yesterday was even worse, that stores were picked over like Armageddon was nigh.

The news....I hate the news. It does nothing to improve the quality of my day. On one newscast, the reporter was on the beach standing in the water. He was about three feet from the dry shore. Really, must you stand in the water? I guess he was trying to prove that he truly was getting wet. On another newscast, the reporter beefed up the drama by stating that you could actually see the whitecaps in the Long Island Sound. I squinted and tried really hard, but couldn't make out more than some choppy water. The news is a joke.

Dave was skeptical the whole time. He did not buy the hype.

The winds were howling last night and the rain came down hard at times, but this storm was supposed to bring us to our knees. I was playing out scenarios of leaping from bed to save Edie if a branch came flying threw the window, and playing cards in the basement by candlelight. We lost power for about a minute at 6am, and I was almost disappointed that the lights were ablaze all day. I mean, I love hot coffee and an Egg McChaud just as much as the next guy, but a storm can be fun when you have to adapt without everyday luxuries. Granted, major weather can cause serious damage but this one just lost its luster. I know we're lucky, we were just bracing for a bit more adventure.

No comments: