Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Workin' 9 to 5

I'm back on the work trolley and all's well so far. There were no major meltdowns or stressors, and work is pretty mellow right now. On the first day, I woke up to torrential downpours, and since we walk to Edie's daycare I was slightly put off by the weather. But no worries, while on maternity leave I bought a sweet Patagonia jacket that laughs in the face of rain. And Edie has a big ol' canopy on her stroller.
I got up and got ready, then woke her up for 'school'. Once dressed in her cutest first-day-of-school outfit, she immediately had a panty blow-out. I changed her and did all the other necessary baby stuff and we got on the road. Over the past few weeks, Dave and I have been visiting the daycare with Edie so we could all to get used to it. The caregivers seem to know what they're doing (I mean, they're professional baby people) and Edie is so young that she doesn't seem to care one way or another about being there.
Marianna, the self-proclaimed Grandma of the establishment, welcomed Edie with open arms and I felt that she was in good hands. I got a bit choked up leaving her but had to catch my bus, so off I went without tears.

When I picked her up that afternoon, the ladies said she was great, but how do I put her to sleep? I was thinking 'I thought you might be able to tell me, he he'. She was plum tuckered though, because as soon as I got her outside she was snoozin' away in her stroller. That night she slept like a little log- she must've been so worn out from taking in all the new things to do and see and smell, and all the new babies to meet. The next day when I picked her up, she was babbling a lot. I think she heard all the other babies chatting and wanted to get in on the conversation.
Last night after two half-days of work I was so beat! I went to bed at 8:30, true fact. I hope I can swing three full days starting next week. It feels good to be back in the real world. Although today I met a mom with a three-week old at the coffee shop and thought, wow Edie was three weeks old just a minute ago!

3 comments:

maegen said...

i love the grumpy face photo! she is so cute! hope all is well.

Erin said...

that picture is a-maz-ing. like, i want it framed in my house next to my kid's pictures... wow.

hillarybking said...

i'm with maegen and erin - you could win a photo contest with that one! Hope week two is swimming along as well as week one!