Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hot damn and hallelujah!

I haven't been writing about my efforts to study for the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) exam, in the event that I failed. But, I took the test today and I passed! I passed. I'm so happy to be done with the studying. Ask me anything about the 2000 U.S. Census, I crammed it all in my brain last night.
I started studying when Edie was 3 weeks old, and would sneak in some reading or online course participation while she was asleep. Now I can go back to watching old episodes of 30 Rock while she naps without the guilt. Or maybe I'll find some recipes for the new and unusual veggies that keep appearing in our fridge. Or perhaps I'll read my New York magazine, which brother-in-law Jeff bought me for my birthday. That subscription comes once a week; keeping up on my New York-centric happenings is a part-time job. So many other fun things to do!

Some friends and family wrote me to say good luck today, and I'm just so relieved to tell people that I PASSED instead of ::shuffle shuffle:: failed. What does it even mean that I'm AICP? I'm a certified planner. It looks good on a resume, and perhaps will give clients or future employers a bit more confidence in my abilities since I don't have a planning education. The exam covers a very broad range of topics, so candidates have to overstudy in the event of getting one or two questions on a certain subject.

Over the past three months, I had to learn a lot of random info, but I also got more familiar with the role that planners have or should have in society. Honestly, I'm happy to be a planner. I think I picked a good career. Professionally, we're responsible for protecting the environment, mobilizing citizens, revitalizing under-utilized community assets, and fosteing economic development (among other things). Did I just get a little teary-eyed?
I think we'll have to raise a glass tonight. Not sure where we'll go but I definitely feel the need to celebrate!

3 comments:

hillarybking said...

Oh "Cheers" indeed! What a task, while caring for an infant, no less. You are one amazing lady, and I'm totally psyched that you are a licensed planner to boot! Congratulations Shawna :)

Erin said...

you go!

Shawna said...

Thanks ladies!