Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kitzman Family Snow Day!

Seattle gets hit with a snowstorm once a year, and even if they're not big storms, they bring the city to its knees because there are like, two snow plows. And no one knows how to navigate Seattle's steep hills in the snow. And many people do not even own shovels. So when the snow gets packed down and the temperatures drop, it's a snowpocalypse.

Well yesterday was such a day, and I might've scoffed at Dave when he pre-emptively checked for school closures in the morning, but the joke was on me when I tried to get a bus home at 4pm. Ever the weather optimist, I thought the snow wouldn't stick and I was playing it safe by leaving the office early. I heard a fellow public transporter mention that he'd been waiting for the #5 for an hour (not my bus but generally a good bet), so I hopped on a local bus a few minutes later. This one takes a roundabout route on an average day, and I figured it'd take a while, but all buses would. After inching through a few intersections, we waited in gridlock a mile from downtown for two hours. Two painful hours. I tried to pretend I was on an airplane, to just sit back and enjoy my book. But after an hour and a half I said 'Cuss this' and got off and walked.

It was frig.id. And my phone was on the verge of dying, so I walked into the nearest establishment (Jillian's) and asked Dave to pack up the baby and pick me up. Now I know why I never go to Jillian's. For one, they have a dish called Chicken Fettucheesy. For two, they have waiters who neglect your freezing ass unless you are wearing a Seahawks jersey. My hero Dave arrived with the girl, in my warm chariot and we were home in 7 minutes (3 hours after I left work). Curse you, Seattle Metro!!

Dave's school was cancelled today, and I decided to work from home. In between naps, we bundled Edie in her new snowsuit and braved the cold but beautiful day. Dave took a snooze, I actually got some work done, and we made grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch. I think Edie was wondering, "Hey, why are we all together? I'm supposed to be at day care". But she was happy and so were we.

For dinner, Dave made "Indian Spiced Kale & Chickpeas" with pork chops, a recipe from our CSA, and it was awesome. We finished it off with some hot cider and rum. Snow days are good as long as you don't have to be anywhere.

No comments: