Monday, September 20, 2010

My PEEPS

We started our PEPS group tonight, which stands for Program for Early Parenthood Support. Dave insists on calling it PEEPS, so that's what I now consider it. A group of six or seven couples who have babies the same age get together once a week for three months to share the highs and lows of parenting, talk about life with baby, and shoot the breeze, all while missing Monday Night Football. We rotate hosting each week, and the whole deal is run by a volunteer facilitator.
[Dave wasn't even in attendance, I might add. He was playing his supposedly last softball game of the season. Edie shed one tear for her absentee father.]

Tonight was good. We shared our birth stories (which is like crack for pregnant ladies and new moms), discussed our pre-baby expectations for parenthood compared to how it actually is, and divulged our expectations for PEEPS. In a nutshell, we want cameraderie. Or the moms want cameraderie and they made the dads join. At least that's how it went down in our house. I also wanted to see other babies Edie's age, and maybe get her some baby friends.
Of course Edie wanted to eat five minutes into our introductory circle. I'm pretty modest about breastfeeding, and reluctant to feed in front of thirteen strangers. So I slinked off to the host's stairs to feed her. Meanwhile, the facilitator is explaining the ins and outs of PEEPS, and says that it's okay to feed/change/comfort your baby at PEEPS. Obviously I assumed since we all live in liberal, natural birth-centric Seattle, it was okay to feed your baby at our meetings. I just didn't want to be the first one to bare a boob. But I came out of hiding and went back to the group, where some other moms were feeding too. All in all, Edie was a peach and very interested in the host's designer lighting.

I'm looking forward to seeing our PEEPS again and introducing Dave to the group.

2 comments:

hillarybking said...

Glad to hear you've got PEEPS! I found it REALLY helpful to have a group where everyone else was going through the same crazy stuff as me - and guiltily satisfying when I wasn't having the same problem as "that mom over there." Yikes! Anyhow, we think of you often over at the King Household. Edie is just beautiful and we hope you're all adjusting well to familyhood. My sister has officially landed in the Seattle Burbs - so hopefully we'll be out your way before the school year is over for a little meet & greet!? HUGS!

Erin said...

that first picture of Edie is amazing.... she is gorgeous to boot!