Saturday, August 29, 2009

foot loose and fancy free

Dave's side of the room is getting out of control. The laundry and sports equipment seem like a fungus that just keeps growing. And I don't mean to toot my own horn but...I think some of my best comedic material takes shape as I'm waking up. The other morning, Dave was complaining about having no socks, and I said "Look on Clothes Mountain". Then I couldn't help but sing "She'll be comin 'round Clothes Mountain when she comes, yee-HAW! She'll be coming round Clothes Mountain..." Then Dave chimed in with "She'll be ridin six white horses...". Oh man, married life is the BEST.

This past week, my friend and I went for a beer after work. A woman at his Pea Patch told him the secret to happy marriage, gleaned from the best wedding toasts she'd heard. Well, two tips: Check in with each other five minutes every day, no matter what. 5 minutes of face time, turn off your t.v. (and your kids if you have 'em).
Her other tip is plan regular mystery dates. I like those ideas, and decided to put the mystery date in motion last night.

I took Dave to this diner clicked up a notch in Columbia City, on the south end of town. We venture to those parts about twice a year, and it's amazing, because it felt like we were in a completely different city. South Seattle is similar to what Green Point, Brooklyn was 10 years ago. Still marginally affordable, a couple yoga studios and good coffee shops mixed into some seedy spots, and on the verge of blowing up. Columbia City is really cute and just got outfitted with Seattle's new Light Rail. Goodbye affordable prices and diversity!


My initial plans for mystery date night included two tickets to Inglourious Basterds (I love me some Tarantino and Brad Pitt), but after a delicious dinner and one way-too-big brownie sundae, were fading into a food coma and fast. We rolled across the street to a little bar where Dave's friend Dalilah met up with us and told some really funny stories with lots of hand gestures.

The mystery date was a success and I'm looking forward to making it a regular part of our good times.

No comments: