Wednesday, March 12, 2008

drop and give me 20



Seattle has been surprisingly sunny over the last month. In fact I think the weather's been kinder this winter than it was all summer. Summer here was grey and chilly. I imagine it's similar to Maine. How do you feel about daylight savings? I'm for it!

A dude who runs the organization Take Pride contacted me about creating a t-shirt design related to Iraqi orphans. I read interview responses from a 10-year old girl whose parents were killed in the war. I sent the guy some sketches related to the girl's outlook (hopeful) and her wishes (peace, to be a doctor, to have a talking doll). We'll see where this goes. I gotta say I am among many people who get overwhelmed by the sheer scope of war. It doesn't affect me day-to-day so it is easy to forget or turn a blind eye to the fact that it's still underway and horrific.

I have a few other projects for friends on the boards (and by that I mean I haven't started anything but they're floating around in my head and my friends are expecting something from me). One is to design Michelle's wedding invite and the other is to compete for a CD package design for Matt's band. Seems like these opportunities all crop up together. Hopefully while my boyfriend is in New Orleans this weekend I can sit down and get some ideas down.

I started boot camp this week with my friend Jess. It's held at a park near my apartment, and runs twice a week after work. We do sprinting drills, uphill running drills, walking lunges, pushup variations, and the default exercise is plank position. Man I hate the plank. But it's awesome and grueling and makes me feel tough.

I thought for a few moments that maybe I want a cat. But Dave reminded me that I actually want a dog, and am considering a cat only as an alternative (dogs= unacceptable in my building and many other buildings). I do not especially like them...but maybe I just haven't met the right one. I'd like one that doesn't scratch my stuff or make my apartment smell. I don't want a litter box so I'd have to train it to ring my apartment doorbell when it wants in. Does that breed exist?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Liz Baillie said...

What is a "plank"? Is that like when you hold yourself up just before you do a pushup? At my dojang they sometimes make us hold that position for several minutes on our fists, it's so totally grueling. Have you ever done a pushup while someone else is holding your legs up in the air at their waist? It's fucking torture! But yeah nothing like a torturous exercise to make you feel TUFF! It's true.