Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Hunt

Let me be the first to virtually congratulate my husband on getting a job!
He was so confident going in to his three interviews, and I thought, "More power to you...but the job market ain't so hot, honey. Work your magic." And apparently he did, because his first interview was a home run.

This means I can hire a nanny while I make use of my personal Nordstrom stylist and full time eyebrow waxer. Call off the hounds! My job hunt is canceled.

Except that's not true at all. I'm still in hot pursuit of planning or design work, but the pressure has lessened now that Dave is gainfully employed. This was my ideal scenario all along: Dave secures a job, so I can research where we'll live, where I'll work, where Edie will go to day care, and how we'll all get there. Dave's job in north-central Connecticut narrows my scope, which is a good thing. Rather than throwing a dart along half the Eastern seaboard, I can focus efforts in the greater Hartford area.

Like many job hunts, mine is filled with fits and starts. Promising leads often fizzle and die, but I just channel the girl from True Grit, who didn't take no for an answer. Ever. She's my job hunt prototype. Not that I can't take a hint, but I definitely work hard to get my name out there. And when one person closes a door in my face, I go knock on another door.


Today I started packing my personal belongings at work. My colleague stopped by my desk, picked up a proposal cover from my drafting table, and said, "You made this?" Me: "Yep" Him: "We're really gonna miss you". It was a really nice moment.

Again, hats off to Dave. I'm so proud.

No comments: