Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sometimes you feel like a nut

Ah sweet, sweet Saturday. I've got an Americano in hand (lukewarm now, but it was good), I worked out, and we've got some fun plans with friends on the docket. I think Saturday morning is my favorite time of the week.

We had a major breakthrough recently on the whole Edie-eczema-food allergy front. After Christmas I did an ellimination diet where I cut out wheat, dairy, soy, and corn for two weeks. If you've looked at the label of anything packaged there's a 90% chance it includes one or more of those ingredients. So I basically cut out all processed food and went back to nature to try to pinpoint why Edie's skin was so irritated, especially after she ate.

At this point she was on a primarily milk diet; whatever I eat is passed on to her. I wasn't feeding her anything packaged. The horror! I considered her my junk-food-ometer. If I ate crap, she was going to pay the price, so I stuck to fruits, veggies, meat, and nuts. Lots of nuts....

Fast forward to late February, and her skin is still red and itchy, she's uncomfortable despite my non-wheat and dairy diet, and I'm also uncomfortable due to my lack of yogurt, cheese, and English Muffins. We know it's something in addition to- or other than- wheat and dairy, but we are overwhelmed with all the potential aggrevators ("Maybe it's dog hair....or non-dairy sorbet, or the stuffing in our couch!").

So Dave makes an appointment with an allergist. One allergy test and an hour later, and we have a new culprit- peanuts! And maybe other tree nuts! Whoa. This is, in a way, good news. It's way easier to cut out nuts. They're not so ubiquitous. Edie's daycare is already nut-free (which is crazy to me, don't kids eat PB and Js like it's going out of style?) And yes, I WAS snacking on nuts and cooking with almond milk since I thought dairy was off limits. Sorry, girl.

Her skin is a lot better now; not perfect but leaps and bounds better, and she even seems happier now that I'm not loading up on nut-products.

No comments: