Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Opening Day Cake

You shouldn't ask a question you don't want to hear the answer to. And that's why I don't ask Dave if he loves me more than baseball.

Dave has been counting down the days until tomorrow, MLB's opening day. As a kid, he pretended to be sick on Mariners' day games so he could watch them on t.v. with his Papa. What a little slugger. Now he's a teacher with summers off, and he gets some good baseball watchin' in during peak season. Dare I suggest he picked his profession to enable his baseball-philia? I"ll let the reader decide.

A few years ago I bought some plastic baseball figurines, not knowing how I'd use them but thought they'd come in handy. Well they've been sitting in a drawer, ready to play ball, and I decided to make Dave an Opening Day Cake. Such is the life of a part-time stay at home mom. It's a rainy Wednesday in March, what else are Edie and I going to do?

I found some images of baseball diamond cakes and picked a recipe from my constant culinary companion, the Joy of Cooking (Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake; it pains me to even write that because mayonnaise grosses me out, but it turned out amazing). I'm melting the chocolate and folding in this, whisking that, and I remember that I don't have any green dye, which is made of gnarly chemicals anyway. A Google search leads me to boiling and pureeing spinach to emulate green food coloring, which I then blended with whipped cream cheese frosting. I'm Better Crocker of the Pacific Northwest.

The dirt is made of crushed graham crackers and the bases are cut up marshmallows. Since we only have a rectangular cake pan, there's a substantial right field and no left field. Compared to our team players, the infield is rather small. And the groundskeeper would not approve of my frosting job. It isn't exactly what I envisioned, but who cares, it's a delicious Opening Day Cake!

I was pretty excited to surprise Dave when he got home from work, and he liked it. We dug in.

3 comments:

Erin said...

you are awesome. and that pic of edie is scrumptious.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

haha this is funny...it inspired me to bake something until i remembered that my oven is broken! edie is such a helpful little baker baby!