Thursday, December 30, 2010

Paleo: for the free range birds?

Oy. This Paleo thing is do-able but expensive. I can't even write what we spent on groceries this week, it blew our budget to bits. Today I started feeling resentful about it after Dave and I hit up the QFC (or the QFer, as I like to call it). We filled our cart with sockeye salmon, steaks, free-range chicken, bananas, avocados...beer, champagne, and chardonnay (okay so we have already modified).

Dave helped himself to a pepperoni-cracker snack that some grocer was making in the cheese aisle. Here's the dialogue that followed:
Me: You know you can't eat that.
Dave: What? I told him to hold the cheese.
Me: Yeah, a cracker is not Paleo. Let's go find the fruit n' nuts aisle.

Anyway, we're four days in to our diet and we've eaten bacon every day. How healthy is that? Today I made zucchini-bacon-egg scrambles and chimichurri sauce to pour over grilled chicken. Tomorrow I'm going to make chicken chili soup. Hopefully that'll serve us for a few days because I've been cooking like it's my job. Good thing we're only doing it for two weeks; otherwise we'd need to take out a small loan.

Yesterday I thought I'd try rice-less sushi. Not so good. It's like...all raw fish.

No comments: