Monday, November 10, 2008

Tap dancing with Obama


This is an exciting week because it's almost time for Michelle's wedding. It's a long time coming and we're really getting down the brass tacks. At this point, the thought "Oh yeah, that event way off in the distance will be fun" has been replaced with "What kind of hosiery can I wear? Dave, those shoes look like they're from 2001", and "I really should write that toast". Yesterday after considerable proscratination we made a trip downtown to Macy's for some good old fashioned men's shopping. He got some suit pants and then we ventured to the shoe department. Honestly, I feel bad for men's shoe designers. Even the shoes that look good are big and long and....mannish! Dave tried on a couple; one pair was so shiny they could pass for tap shoes. Yep, that's my boyfriend, Sammy Davis Jr.

Speaking of black men who are awesome, YAY Obama. Our Obama shirts arrived the day of the election, a good omen that helped allay my fears. I realize he's just one man, but I feel so proud and relieved that he won. We drank champagne with friends to celebrate a rejuvenated sense of American pride and, finally, a glimmer of hope.

No comments: