Monday, December 17, 2007

Burgled!

My apartment got burglarized last week. I came home from a long work day to find my front door unlocked, bootprints on my kitchen table, and my computer swiped (RIP G4, it's been real). You have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to my apartment, but Seattle is so hilly (San Fran's stepbrother), that my unit in the back is essentially on the ground floor. They came in through my kitchen window, which I'd left slightly ajar. I've lived there a year and felt comfortable enough to crack the window for circulation.

It sucks. Nothing was backed up. They also stole a blanket that my Grandma had given me, which had a lot of personal value. I have renter's insurance. Best case scenario is they reimburse me for some of the laptop's value. We'll see though.

In similar bad news, I got ready for my company's much-anticipated holiday party on Saturday night and picked up some friends when the gas light came on. I pulled into the Shell station and pumped the tank, not even to the brim. When I took the nozzle out, gas continued to pour with vigor, splashing onto the ground with such force that it ricocheted back onto me and my new party dress, etc. A man ran to my rescue and ripped the nozzle out of my hands. We both agreed we'd never seen anything like it. My friends and I pretty much got high of the fumes on the way back to my house.

But, all is well. In general I'm a very lucky person, and I think shit like this has to happen once in a while to even out the fortune. By the way, I really like my boyfriend. Here's a photo of us from the party.

2 comments:

maegen said...

Bummer about the burglary and the gas on your party dress..both very random, but yet very unfortunate events. I'm glad you are keeping your head high and still have a positive attitude. Will you be in CT for any of the glorious holiday season? Would love to see you again soon. Be well. Happy Holidays!

Erin said...

what???? shawna that's crazy... good thing you weren't home! i love ya.