Monday, January 6, 2014

Bottomless Coffee

Do you know that feeling when you're dozing in bed while reading, you can essentially feel your brain waves slow down? I woke up this morning after about two weeks of a very light work schedule, and my brain waves were dormant for 45 minutes. I went through the usual motions but it was dark, chilly, and ridiculously foggy, and my brain felt the same....until I took a sip of  coffee that is. With cream. Hallelujah, that shit is so delicious. It's like the overhead florescent lights in a school gym buzz on, flicker with a slow burn for a prolonged minute until they really kick in.


This former coffee snob has accepted drip coffee. I make it pretty well at home. Since we've lived in Connecticut, I've welcomed Dunkin Donuts back. It wasn't an easy acceptance, but after two years and change, I appreciate its merits again. My latest ungodly concoction is half coffee-half Salted Caramel hot chocolate. There is no reason a grown person needs to drink it, but I can't help but think of enjoying one after a long run, or just to get the motor running on these cold, dark days. Hot damn! Also, I'm not above a drive-thru Dunkin' run. I know it's tacky and like, obese-American to rock the drive-thru, but two kids in the car is the only excuse necessary to stay buckled in.


Am I really dedicating a blog post to coffee? I suspect I need to address new content, to write about something dominating my life other than kids or running, and coffee is at the top of my list. Hmm, let's see, surely there are more dimensions to my life...

Oh, yes. I started to read a book last night. This is the first book I've read since July, and I didn't have the will to finish it, even though I liked it (The Interestings). My book of 2014 is Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg, about balancing work, family, and life while rising to the professional top (if you're so inclined). I love working, I love graphic design and the experiments and research that go into that part of my job. I'm organized, driven, and am intrigued by urban planning and developing my planning skills. But I often wish I worked less; how great it was when Edie was a baby and I worked 24 hours a week and spent my other days exploring Seattle with her (coffee mug in hand of course). It was great for me and Edie, but my work suffered. I went to the office Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. After two days at home mid-week, I barely knew where I'd left off on Tuesday, and how difficult is it to build momentum on a segregated Friday? Very. My employers were saints; despite my best intentions, they must've lost money on me during that time.

Lean In explores how women can thrive in business, with or without a family. It addresses workplace inequality and overcoming internal and external barriers. Sample internal barrier: Comparing yourself to the male leadership while at work, and the stay-at-home moms while at home. Sample external barrier: The well-researched female tendency to underestimate our performance, while men typically overestimate their performance. Self doubt is an issue some days, and this book is illuminating common sentiments, many of which I never even gave a name to, and challenging those norms. Even though Sheryl, the COO of Facebook, makes an obscene amount of money and therefore has more resources at her disposal to make whatever she wants to do work, the concepts ideas apply to any class. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Yep, folks, coffee and reading. I also like impromptu dance parties, sledding on fresh snow, and scoring network t.v. pulled thanks to a $60 antenna. More on that next time.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.