Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Running a relay without the baton

We did another race, and this one was big. Not Dave's really real upcoming race, but this was a family affair that required setting an early alarm, securing a babysitter weeks in advance, and some general training. Dave and I completed a marathon relay as part of the Hartford Marathon. The day includes many different races - kids fun run, a 5k, wheelchair race, half marathon, marathon relay, and full marathon. Though the marathon relay has less glory than many of the other events (i.e. we didn't get finisher medals and the only offerings at the food tent when I got there were dry bagels and pears). Anyway, it fit the bill for Dave's amped up training needs, and my lackluster training.

We run this town
I've done the half marathon before, and it's a great course through the Parkville neighborhood of Hartford, into the tree-lined streets of West Hartford, out through photogenic Elizabeth Park, and under the Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park, with ample spectators cheering and bands playing. Dave and I did a marathon relay as he's training for the NYC Marathon in a few weeks. His training run for last weekend was a cool 20 miles, so we figured why not train on a course free of traffic and stocked with Gatorade? I'd do the remainder miles, which ended up being about 5.5.


VIP access to the Coachman

Our relay team did well, though not as well as my Dad and Jeff, who schooled us. I won't replay it mile for mile, but it was an absolutely gorgeous day, spirits were high, and Kevin and Jan's Winnebago was stocked with mimosas, coffee, sandwiches, and apple cider donuts for post-race rehab, and an outdoor patio to boot. They bought their camper specifically for pre- and post-race retreat, and it is an awesome resource. Less need for Port-a-Potties, coupled with a warm and dry place to store gear, and the added tailgating element increase the race day experience tenfold. People walk by and look at us longingly like, "Why didn't we think of that?" (here I am rhapsodizing about the benefits but have I done an ounce to contribute to the health and wellbeing of the glorious Coachman? Nope. I'm lame!)

A few things of note: my mom has been cleaning up Hartford Marathon events. 5Ks are her specialty, and this past year she keeps winning for her division (women in a certain age bracket). She's been getting more and more first place ribbons, as she did on Saturday. Did I mention she's beat me substantially the last few races we've done? I pretty much eat her dust, and couldn't be more proud.

Competitive parental units
My mom, sister, and I just registered for the Austin, Texas half marathon. I'm pretty pumped for a few reasons. One, I like the half marathon distance and training is reasonable. I thrive when I have a clear goal. After watching the marathoners finish on Saturday, I concluded that humans aren't designed to run 26.2 miles. It just seems insane. (I still flirt with the idea of running a marathon someday, primarily because I doubt I could do it).

Second, the Lone Star State! I've never been, and I know that Austin isn't the "real" Texas, but I'm excited to go during the short, dark days of February. Training starts in a few weeks, but until then, I'll be racing my mom at a Halloween 5K and cheering for Dave (and Jeff!) in New York City in a few weeks.

Can you spot Dave?

No comments: