Monday, January 9, 2012

My dad says I need a new blog post

It's pretty funny when my dad says, "I've been trying to read your blog but..." But what Dad? There's nothing new to read?

He's right, so here I blog. I very much enjoy writing and of course I love talking about myself, but I have no time. No time to blog at the end of a long day! Such is the plight of a working mama.
Our trip to Seattle was really very relaxing. The flight was absolutely not relaxing but we spent the six days in between lazing around Dave's parents' home. They keep the thermostat at steady 74 degrees so it felt like a tropical vacation (rain included). Edie slept in every day, and we had no place to be, so we just drank coffee, read the newspaper, played Scrabble on Dave's iPhone, ate Christmas leftovers, read (which I barely do lately), and did some workouts.
At around 4pm Dave and I would kiss Edie goodbye and drive an hour to Seattle. While the grandparents got some 1-on-1 with the girl, Dave and I braved the brutal I-5 rush hour to meet up with friends, buy his-and-hers shoes on sale, drink NW beer, drink NW Americanos, and eat our fare share of Seattle street food. I managed a cranky toddler for a six-hour flight but that Seattle coffee and Rancho Bravo burrito made it worth it.
When we got back to CT, I was so happy that we made it through December. I was done with the junk food fests, the traveling, the shopping, yada yada. However, before I could really slip into recovery mode, we had plans to go to a Patriots game with my family on New Years' Day. New Years Eve is probably my least favorite holiday, and I loved that there was no pressure to go somewhere and do something awesome. We laid low, I had a White Russian (my current cocktail of choice, is that wierd?), and crashed early. The next day we met some aunties and uncles at Kevin's RV at some ungodly early hour. "The Coachmen" was stocked to the gills with beer, food, and Pats fans.
Did I mention this was my first NFL game? As much as I'm sick of the term "bucket list", going to one NFL game was on my list. Dave and I were decked out in long johns, boots, and hats, but the day's 50-degree temps proved us way overdressed. We ate my mom's homemade chili and cornbread, made a mess out of Kitty's ribs, sipped Bloody Mary's, and played bocce in the sunny parking lot. Even the game was great. The Pats won. I know because, for once, I paid attention.

(And Dad, next time you think my blog is stale, check out the archives. Those posts are like a fine wine, or my 11-year old Subaru. They only get better with age.)

1 comment:

Erin said...

haha...'like a fine wine'...you're so funny shawna...