Monday, December 5, 2011

Chim chim charroo

Good tidings noble blog readers! Since we last met I've successfully finished the Manchester Road Race and steadily decreased my workout regimen (not really by design). I still have a glimmer of hope that I'll do some push-ups and squats tonight, even if just for morale, but I'm hanging up my running shoes for the season.
Now it's time to paint bathrooms, braise carrots, and trim our house with holiday decorations. On Friday we went to a local nursery that has the feel of a secret garden. I could easily buy every other thing there, but I excersized restraint and did not buy $150 worth of sparkly decor and magnolia wreaths. Mom's hand-me-down Santa nesting dolls little will have to buck up for another year, even if the paint is chipping off their faces.
As for Christmas shopping, I have not really fallen in yet. I have lots of gift ideas, and I do love picking out the right thing for everyone, but Black Friday and the mall scene turn me off. They make me dehydrated and anxious, and I usually drive away feeling depressed about humanity (and my shopping budget).

I do, however, love Etsy. It's an online handmade marketplace, the complete antithesis of Target (which, let's be frank, also love). I've gotten everything from custom artwork to fabric potted plants. Another benefit to shopping Etsy is that there's a good chance your stuff is made in the USA, and you can even shop local to see if there are any goods in your 'hood. I've thought of starting my own shop on Etsy but for now I just enjoy browsing and picking up treasures here and there.
We are going to Seattle for Christmas in a couple weeks. Although I'm not psyched about flying with a 16-month old at the busiest time of year, it'll be nice to be back in burrito country. We do miss the coffee, our friends, Oliver's Twist, and family!

No comments: