Monday, April 12, 2010

The Fox Den

Babies is scary.

That's how I'm feeling these days. There a so many unknowns and questions. There are many elements not figured out, and we won't figure them out until we have a little person in our arms to look after. I'm really hoping my motherly instincts kick in, because my last extended encounter with babies was back in the mid 90s when I babysat my cousins. My mom is coming to visit next week and I'm pretty pumped. Sometimes I look at a map of the U.S. and am amazed at how far I am from my family.

This weekend we had some friends over for homemade pizzas and board games. I never think I like board games until I play them, at which point I think we should definitely play more often. Something occured to me that night- our idea of a good time is evolving rapidly. We are turning into homebodies, watching Friday Night Lights on a Friday Night, while I eat Ben and Jerry's and Dave drinks a Spaten Pils. The highlight of my Saturdays are Crossfit, yoga, and taking a nap. Once in a while, we'll go to a show, get a bite to eat late night, and feel like we're really painting the town.

Amidst all the unknowns, a few things have come to light. I decided on a theme for a baby's room: foxes. I was inspired by The Fantastic Mr. Fox, and also a painting that my sister had made for me. I found a couple of foxy art-things, and my friend told me that a baby fox is called a kit. Kit, Kitzman. Get it? From now on, the baby's room will be referred to as the Fox Den.

We also found a place to live, which will be ready at the end of the month. I'm glad we have a new home but the truth is, moving still does not fit into my idea of a good time.

No comments: