Tuesday, April 28, 2009

emergency snack kits

Ever since I experienced the NYC blackout of '03 I thought it'd be a good idea to create a disaster preparedness kit. The infamous East Coast blackout happened the third month I lived there, which sent my imagination spiraling and my heart a-pumpin. I was always on "high alert" due to a healthy dose of anxiety and elevated terror threats. I freaked out anytime the subway paused in the tunnel longer than normal, so you can imagine my fear when all the city's lights flickered out, and stayed out, and no one knew what was happening for hours.

Well, despite my anxiety, I never made the kit...until this month! My favorite magazine, Bust, published an article essentially saying "Hey sister, don't be sitting around waiting for Red Cross when disaster strikes. Be prepared". I took the magazine and the list of kit essentials to Fred Meyer this weekend, where I filled my cart with a first aid kit, jugs of water, and a flashlight. And snacks. Lots of snacks. When I got home and filled up an old backpack with the stuff, I realize that I may not have a multi-tool, solar blanket, or a whistle, but I do have 17 different types of nuts.

The problem with the kit is: you have to be home when disaster strikes! I'm mostly not at home, which creates a problem. But at least it's better than nothing. My other problem is that now Dave knows there's a Snickers bar in the bag. I really should keep an eye on inventory.


In other news, I booked our honeymoon flight to Mexico on Saturday morning, about an hour before I walked out of the house to encounter doomsday-type headlines (are there any other kinds?) regarding the pig flu throughout Mexico. Well, shoot. I mean, our honeymoon is not till late July so we have time on our side. But it took a TON of legwork finding a destination that time of year that wasn't hurricane season, rainy season, rattlesnake season and was within our budget. I guess there's always something, you just gotta roll with it.

In much better news, I always walk past a neighborhood children's store that sells baby clothes. I spotted this ridiculously cute snail onesie, which I finally purchased for my cousin Ali. She's having her first baby, and the first baby of our generation.

No comments: